E X E C U T I V E O R D E R
CONTINUING TEMPORARY SUSPENSION AND MODIFICATION OF LAWS RELATING TO THE DISASTER EMERGENCY
WHEREAS, on March 7, 2020, I issued Executive Order Number 202, declaring a State disaster emergency for the entire State of New York;
WHEREAS, both travel-related cases and community contact transmission of COVID-19 have been documented in New York State and are expected to be continue;
WHEREAS, one state acting alone cannot control the continued spread of this disease and it requires coordination and cooperation amongst the states; and
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Governor Andrew M. Cuomo, by virtue of the authority vested in me by Section 29-a of Article 2-B of the Executive Law to temporarily suspend or modify any statute, local law, ordinance, order, rule, or regulation, or parts thereof, of any agency during a State disaster emergency, if compliance with such statute, local law, ordinance, order, rule, or regulation would prevent, hinder, or delay action necessary to cope with the disaster emergency or if necessary to assist or aid in coping with such disaster, or to issue any directive during a disaster emergency necessary to cope with the disaster, I hereby issue the following directives and suspensions and modifications for the period from the date of this Executive Order 202.3 through April 15, 2020:
- The directive requiring large gatherings and events to be cancelled or postponed if they had anticipated attendance in excess of 500 people by virtue of Executive Order 202.1 dated March 12, 2020, is hereby amended and modified to require that any large gathering or event (concert, conference, worship service, performance before a large audience, etc.) shall be cancelled or postponed if more than fifty persons are expected in attendance, at any location in New York State until further notice.
- Any restaurant or bar in the state of New York shall cease serving patrons food or beverage on-premises effective at 8 pm on March 16, 2020, and until further notice shall only serve food or beverage for off-premises consumption. Notwithstanding any provision of the alcohol and beverage control law, a retail on-premises licensee shall be authorized for the duration of this Executive Order to sell alcohol for off-premises consumption, which shall include either take-out or delivery, subject to reasonable limitations set by the State Liquor Authority.
- Any facility authorized to conduct video lottery gaming, or casino gaming shall cease operation effective at 8 pm on March 16, 2020, and until further notice. For a Class III Tribal Gaming enterprise or Class II Tribal Gaming enterprise, any facility should also close to the public until further notice.
- Any gym, fitness centers or classes, and movie theaters shall also cease operation effective at 8 pm on March 16, 2020 until further notice.
- No local government or political subdivision shall issue any local emergency order or declaration of emergency or disaster inconsistent with, conflicting with or superseding the foregoing directives, or any other executive order issued under Section 24 of the Executive Law and any local emergency order or any local administrative codes, charters, laws, rules or regulations, are hereby suspended with respect to any such order issued under such authority different or in conflict with Executive directives.
G I V E N under my hand and the Privy Seal of the State in the City of Albany this sixteenth day of March in the year two thousand twenty.
BY THE GOVERNOR
Secretary to the Governor