Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today introduced the New York State Adventure License Series, providing New Yorkers and visitors the opportunity to purchase lifetime licenses to fish, hunt and visit New York State Parks, as part of his efforts to enhance sporting and recreational opportunities, support outdoor enthusiasts and boost tourism throughout the state. As part of this promotional effort, the Governor unveiled New Yorks Outdoor Adventure License Plates, which features nine new plate designs including the I [love] NY HUNTING, I [love] NY FISHING, and I [love] NY PARKS license plates available for free exclusively to those buying new lifetime hunting, fishing, or parks licenses in 2014. Click here to view the new plates.
In addition, New York residents who secure lifetime licenses will have the opportunity to receive an Adventure License, which allows them the option of consolidating all their recreation licenses and benefits onto their New York State Drivers License, an initiative first introduced by the Governor during his State of the State address last month. The Adventure License and plates are available on the states revamped online licensing portal: www.licensecenter.ny.gov.
To promote these latest offers, the State will launch a direct mail campaign and send one million letters to notify current short term recreational license holders. Click here for a sample letter.
As part of our ongoing efforts to promote New York as a top destination for outdoor enthusiasts and sportsmen, we are launching the NYS Lifetime Adventure License Series that will allow New Yorkers to hunt, fish and enjoy our vast state parks for the rest of their lives, Governor Cuomo said. Under this program, we are creating the new Adventure License to make it easier for New Yorkers who hold these lifetime passes to travel and enjoy outdoor activities across the state, as well as new special Adventure License Plates available free to anyone who signs up for a lifetime hunting, fishing or parks license this year. With this initiative, we are growing the states tourism industry even further and creating jobs for communities statewide. And most of all, we are excited to offer New Yorkers and visitors the opportunity to enjoy and explore the Empire States great outdoors for a lifetime.
People who enjoy being outdoors often participate in multiple sporting activities such as hunting and fishing, Department of Environmental Conservation Commissioner Joe Martens said. The Adventure License allows new lifetime hunting, fishing and trapping license holders to get outside with the simplicity of bringing their drivers license rather than multiple documents. This is just the latest example of Governor Cuomos commitment to making it easier for tourists and New Yorkers to recreate and enjoy the great outdoors.
With so much to do across our wonderful park system, the Empire Passport offers a lifetime of enjoyment that allows families and friends to build memories forever, said Rose Harvey, Commissioner, Office of Parks, Recreation and Historical Preservation. One investment now and the 335,000 acres, 2,000 miles of trails, beaches, nature centers and other park opportunities are yours to experience and enjoy forever. Lifetime Empire Passport members will have the option to escape alone or bring family and friends along for the experience.
New Yorks Lifetime Adventure License Series will provide many benefits for the sporting community and outdoor enthusiasts including:
- Lifetime Hunting License: $535 for small/big game A lifetime hunting license allows holders to hunt across millions of acres of majestic wild lands in New York while saving on the costs of an annual license.
- Lifetime Fishing License: $460 A lifetime fishing license provides a lifetime of fishing on more than 70,000 miles of rivers and streams and more than 7,000 lakes and ponds while saving on the cost of an annual license.
- Lifetime Empire Passport: $750 with special offer With no expiration date, buy the new Lifetime Empire Passport once, and enjoy the forests, the seashore, and the lakefronts in New Yorks state parks for years and years to come while saving on the cost of an annual license. The Lifetime Empire Passport was announced in the Governors State of the State address. In addition, as a free one-time special bonus, purchasers will be able to select from any one of the following: a free week of camping, a free round of golf for four, or a $100 State Parks gift card.
- Adventure License Plates: Adventure license plates will be free of charge for those purchasing new lifetime licenses in 2014, including one free plate renewal. Nine beautiful plate designs are available to display the lifetime commitment that hunters, anglers and parks visitors have made.
- NYS Adventure Licenses: Lifetime holders of sporting licenses, Lifetime Empire Passports, and NY Safe Boating Certificates have the opportunity to consolidate their paper licenses onto one document, their New York State drivers license. The license will feature icons including: a deer and fish for sportsmen lifetime licensees; an arrowhead for bowhunting; a bobcat paw for trapping; a powderhorn for muzzleloading; an anchor for a boating safety certificate; and a maple leaf for Lifetime Empire Passports.
To purchase a lifetime pass or to learn more about these offers, go to www.licensecenter.ny.gov.
Parks & Trails New York Executive Director Robin Dropkin said, We New Yorkers love the outdoors. What better way to celebrate our love than purchasing lifetime passes to our spectacular parks and abundant wild places and displaying our passion for the outdoors anywhere we go with the new Outdoor Adventure License Plates. Plus, enjoying the outdoors is good for the economyoutdoor recreation contributes more than $11 billion to the states economy each yearand good for our health.
Jason Kemper, Chair of the Conservation Fund Advisory Board, said, Governor Cuomos increased support of sportsmen and women activities is greatly appreciated. From streamlining licenses, providing millions to increase access and complete critical repairs on our hatchery system, reducing fees, simplifying licensing documents to todays new Adventure plates, Governor Cuomo has once again demonstrated his commitment to expanding opportunities for hunting, fishing and trapping across the state. Sportsmen activities infuse billions of dollars each year into our economy and we appreciate the Governors ongoing efforts to make New York a premier destination for our industry.
Erik Kulleseid, executive director of the Alliance for New York State Parks, a program of the Open Space Institute, said, Governor Cuomo continues to demonstrate extraordinary leadership in support of state parks. His recognition of the value of parks as recreational and cultural destinations; unique environmental classrooms; and regional economic drivers is helping to transform and uplift a once beleaguered state park system. The latest example of this commitment are the adventure license plates which offer a new way to promote visitation to parks and other state lands.
Recreational and sporting activities generate significant economic value across New York State. According to the Congressional Sportsmens Foundation, sportsmen and women spent $4.95 billion on hunting and fishing in New York in 2011 and support more than 56,000 jobs across the state. In addition, spending by sportsmen and women in New York generated $623 million in state and local taxes in 2011. The New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation maintains and operates 179 state parks and 35 historic sites, which are visited by 60 million people annually. A recent study commissioned by Parks & Trails New York found that New York State Parks generates $1.9 billion in economic activity annually and supports 20,000 jobs.