More Than 40 Events Statewide Encourage Families to Enjoy the Holiday Season at State Parks and Historic Sites
New York State Parks Showcase the Best of the Season with Tree Lightings, Holiday Markets and Historic Tours
Governor Cuomo invited New Yorkers to celebrate the holiday season at more than 40 parks or historic sites across New York State.
“New York’s parks and historic sites offer unparalleled natural beauty, countless opportunities for outdoor recreation, and family-friendly fun no matter what time of year it is," Governor Cuomo said. "I urge New Yorkers and visitors alike to see for themselves all that our parks have to offer this holiday season."
“This year, I encourage New Yorkers to start a new tradition: visit a state park or historic site and participate in our many family-friendly activities that run throughout the year,” said Rose Harvey, Commissioner of the Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. “Holiday-themed events across the state have something for everyone."
Holiday celebrations at New York State parks will range from tours of the lavishly decorated Staatsburgh Mansion in the Hudson Valley, to candlelight tours of Old Fort Niagara overlooking Lake Ontario, to family-friendly tree-lighting celebrations at state parks on Long Island. Events will also include making holiday snacks for black bears at Trailside Zoo in Bear Mountain State Park, holiday cookie decorating at Green Lakes State Park and a gingerbread house contest at Philipse Manor Hall State Historic Site.
Some events require pre-registration and/or an admission fee, please check http://nysparks.com/events for more details.
- Christmas by Candlelight at Lorenzo State Historic Site; Dec. 4 at 7 p.m.
- Christmas at Lorenzo State Historic Site: The Nutcracker; Dec. 5 & 6, 1 – 4 p.m.
- Holiday Cookie Decorating – Green Lakes State Park; Dec. 18, 19 & 20 at various times.
- Holiday Light Spectacular – Jones Beach State Park; now through Jan. 4, beginning at dusk.
- Holiday Tree Lighting Ceremony – Bayard Cutting Arboretum State Park; Dec. 4 at 5:30 p.m.
- Holiday Tree Lighting Ceremony – Orient Beach State Park; Dec. 4 at 6:30 p.m.
- Family Fun: Fire and Ice Candles – Caleb Smith State Park Preserve; Dec. 5 at 9:30 a.m. & 1:30 p.m.
- 2015 Holiday Tree Lighting Ceremony – Belmont Lake State Park; Dec. 5 at 4:15 p.m.
- South Side Sportsmen's Club Historic House Tours – Connetquot River State Park Preserve; Dec. 6, 1-3 p.m.
- 2015 Holiday Tree Lighting Ceremony – Planting Fields Arboretum State Historic Park; Dec. 11 at 6 p.m.
- Wreath Workshop – Caleb Smith State Park Preserve; Dec. 12 at 10 a.m. & 1:30 p.m.
- Family Fun: Ice Candles – Connetquot River State Park Preserve; Dec. 12 at 1:30 p.m.
- Tiny Tots, Nature Discoveries: Holiday Cards – Caleb Smith State Park Preserve; Dec. 17 at 10 a.m.
New York City
- Keepsakes and Pomanders – Clay Pit Ponds State Park Interpretive Center; Dec. 5 at 1 p.m.
- Annual Wreath Making – Clay Pit Ponds State Park Interpretive Center; Dec. 19 at 10 a.m.
- Christmas with the Ellisons – Knox’s Headquarters State Historic Site; Dec. 12 & 19, 4 – 7 p.m.
- Festival of Lights – Senate House State Historic Site; Dec. 12, 5 – 8 p.m.
- Warm Up at the Washingtons – Washington’s Headquarters State Historic Site; Dec. 13, 1 – 5 p.m.
- Berry Merry Holiday – Bear Mountain State Park; Dec. 19 at 10:30 a.m.
- Open House – Knox’s Headquarters State Historic Site; Dec. 27, 28 & 29, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- Holiday Craft Bazaar – Thacher State Park Nature Center; Dec 5, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. & Dec. 6, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- St. Nicholas Day Open House – Crailo State Historic Site; Dec. 5, 12 – 4 p.m.
- Sweater Mitten Mania – Thacher State Park Nature Center; Dec. 12 at 10 a.m.
- A Gilded Age Christmas mansion tours – Staatsburgh State Historic Site; Thursdays – Sundays through Dec. 20 and Dec. 26 – 31, various times
- A Child’s Christmas storytelling – Clermont State Historic Site; Dec. 5 & 6 at 10 a.m.
- St. Nicholas Day Celebration – Philipse Manor Hall State Historic Site; Dec. 5, 12 – 4 p.m.
- Holiday Whodunit – Staatsburgh State Historic Site; December 6, 13, 20 & 27, 1 – 4 p.m.
- Holiday Themed Guided Tours – Philipse Manor Hall State Historic Site; Dec. 8 – 12, Dec. 15 – 19, Dec. 22 – 24 & Dec. 29 – 31 at 12 & 2 p.m.
- 2nd Annual Yonkers Downtown Gingerbread House Contest – Philipse Manor Hall State Historic Site; Dec. 12 at 2 p.m.
- Friends of Clermont Holiday Party – Clermont State Historic Site; Dec. 12, 5 – 7 p.m.
- Candlelight Tours of Clermont – Clermont State Historic Site; Dec. 13 at 3 p.m.
- Holiday Tour by Candlelight – Philipse Manor Hall State Historic Site; Dec. 15 – 19 & Dec. 22 – 24 at 7 p.m.
- Christmas at Clermont open house – Clermont State Historic Site; Dec. 19, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Jingle Jangle: A Winter Celebration – Olana State Historic Site; Dec. 26, 1 to 5 p.m.
- Holiday Craft Workshop for Kids: Make a Mouse House – Staatsburgh State Historic Site; Dec. 29 & 30 at 11 a.m. & 2:30 p.m.
- Winter Break Mini-Camp: A Jay Holiday – John Jay Homestead State Historic Site; Dec. 31 at 1 p.m.
- Pine Bow Wreath Workshop – Minna Anthony Common Nature Center, Wellesley Island State Park; Dec. 5 at 10 a.m.
- Holiday Bonanza – Minna Anthony Common Nature Center, Wellesley Island State Park; Dec. 12, 10 a.m.– 3:30 p.m.
- Castle by Candlelight – Old Fort Niagara State Historic Site; December 5 & 12 at 6:30 p.m.
- Christmas Open House at River Lea Farmhouse – Beaver Island State Park; December 6, 1 – 4 p.m.
The New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation oversees 180 state parks and 35 historic sites, which are visited by 62 million people annually. For more information on any of these recreation areas, call 518-474-0456 or visit www.nysparks.com, connect on Facebook, or follow on Twitter.