Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today announced that he has directed the State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation to offer extended hours at state swimming facilities and other state parks during the current heat wave to help New Yorkers beat the heat. The extended hours will begin today and continue through Thursday, July 28.
"The beautiful beaches, pools, and other facilities in New York's park system are the perfect way to beat the heat on these extremely hot summer days," Governor Cuomo said. "With temperatures spiking to over 90 degrees this week, I ordered these parks to extend their hours and allow more New Yorkers a chance for cool respite from this heat wave."
State Parks Commissioner Rose Harvey said, "There's no better place to be on a hot summer day than one of our great state parks. I’m grateful that Governor Cuomo is offering more opportunities for New York families to cool off during this heat wave."
The following State Park swimming facilities will be open for extended hours:
- Long Island: The ocean beaches at Jones Beach, Robert Moses, Sunken Meadow and Hither Hills State Parks, and the swimming pool at Jones Beach, will remain open until 8:15 PM.
- New York City: Sprinklers will be added to Gantry Plaza State Park in Queens and East River State Park in Brooklyn.
- Mid-Hudson: Beginning Tuesday, swimming beaches at Lake Taghkanic and Fahnestock State Parks will remain open until 7 PM. The swimming pool at FDR State Park will remain open until 6:30 PM.
- Capital Region: The Victoria Pool in Saratoga Spa State Park, the swimming pool at Minekill State Park, and beaches at Thompson's Lake, Moreau Lake, and Grafton Lakes State Parks will remain open until 8 PM.
- North Country: All beaches in the Thousand Islands will stay open until 8 PM including swimming beaches at Westcott Beach, Southwick Beach, Pt. au Roche, and Robert Moses, and the swimming pool at Keewaydin.
- Mohawk Valley/Central New York: The swimming beaches at Green Lakes, Delta Lake and Sandy Island Beach State Parks will open until 8:00 PM.
- Finger Lakes: The swimming beaches at Hamlin Beach and Darien Lakes State Parks will be open to 8 PM beginning Tuesday, and the North Pool at Letchworth State Park will be open until 7 PM.
- Western New York: Beginning Tuesday, swimming facilities at Beaver Island and Fort Niagara will remain open until 8 PM and the Red House and Quaker Area beaches at Allegany State Park will be open until 7:45 PM.
Swimming may be affected by hazardous weather or changing water conditions. Please check State Parks’ website, www.nysparks.com, or call the park directly, to confirm availability.
Spanish Translation Traducción al español
Russian Translation Перевод на русский язык
Korean Translation 한국어 번역
Italian Translation Traduzione italiana
Haitian Creole Translation Tradiksyon kreyòl ayisyen
French Translation Traduction française
Chinese Translation 中文翻譯