New York Continues to Lead the Way in Recognizing Varied History
Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today announced that the New York State Board for Historic Preservation has recommended adding 18 properties, resources and districts to the State and National Registers of Historic Places. The nominations reflect the striking diversity of New York State's history and range from the last New York City home of author and civil rights activist James Baldwin to the Adirondack farm that inspired noted artist Rockwell Kent.
"These historic locations highlight so much of what it is exceptional and exciting about New York's history and honor the legacy of some of the state's most distinguished leaders," Governor Cuomo said. "By placing these landmarks on the State and National Registers of Historic Places, we are helping to ensure these places and their caretakers have the funding needed to preserve, improve and promote the best of the Empire State."
State and National Registers listing can assist property owners in revitalizing buildings, making them eligible for various public preservation programs and services, such as matching state grants and state and federal historic rehabilitation tax credits. Since the Governor signed legislation to bolster the state's use of rehabilitation tax credits in 2013, the state and federal program has spurred billions of dollars in completed investments of historic commercial properties and tens of millions in owner-occupied historic homes.
The State and National Registers are the official lists of buildings, structures, districts, landscapes, objects, and sites significant in the history, architecture, archeology and culture of New York State and the nation. There are more than 120,000 historic buildings, structures and sites throughout the state listed on the National Register of Historic Places, individually or as components of historic districts. Property owners, municipalities and organizations from communities throughout the state sponsored the nominations.
Once the recommendations are approved by the state historic preservation officer, the properties are listed on the New York State Register of Historic Places and then nominated to the National Register of Historic Places, where they are reviewed and, once approved, entered on the National Register. More information and photos of the nominations are available on the Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation website.
Senator José Serrano, Chair of Committee on Cultural Affairs, Tourism, Parks and Recreation said, "Historic preservation serves as an economic engine to promote tourism and create jobs, while celebrating our state's diverse cultural heritage. Listing these properties on the State and National Register will give New Yorkers and visitors an appreciation for our history, while supporting the revitalization of communities throughout the state. I commend Governor Cuomo and Commissioner Kulleseid for their commitment to preserving New York's history for future generations."
Erik Kulleseid, Commissioner of the Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation said, "By preserving and revitalizing these historic places, we can encourage smart economic growth, tourism, and community pride. Listing these properties on the State and National Registers of Historic Places will help ensure that they contribute to New York's future."
Ancramdale Historic District, Ancram: The rural crossroads hamlet is characterized by a collection of modest vernacular buildings that collectively portray the growth of this locale from the turn of the 19th century, when mining enterprises were initially established there, until the early 1950s, when the last buildings were constructed.
Bigelow-Finch-Fowler Farm, West Lebanon: The property's centerpiece is a commodious ca. 1830 brick house, known familiarly as "The Century." It was first settled in the late 18th century by New England pioneer Jabez Bigelow (1726-1808), whose family's presence accounted for the West Lebanon area being known historically by the name Bigelow Flats or Bigelow Hollow. The property is also significant for its later association with Warren Fowler, whose vision of regional telegraph and telephone service helped to reshape life in and around New Lebanon in the late nineteenth century
Alexandra Apartment Hotel, Schenectady: The five-story Queen Anne-style building was built in 1900 and targeted residents who were primarily employees of the General Electric Company, whose industrial works were only a short trolley ride away. The building is associated with the growth of Schenectady and is significant as an apartment hotel building type.
The Koda-Vista Historic District, Greece: The intact residential suburban enclave was first settled in the 1920s, primarily by employees of the Eastman Kodak Company with assistance from a company-founded savings and loan. The district includes three separate subdivisions developed between the 1920s and the 1960s and is noted for its large collection of popular middle-class residential architecture.
The Powers Building and Hotel, Rochester: The nomination adds the Powers Hotel, built in 1881, to the National Register listing for the Powers Building, which was originally individually listed in 1973. The buildings functioned historically as a complementary, interrelated pair in establishing and bolstering the importance of West Main Street and the Four Corners area, offering interrelated services including office and meeting space, restaurants, accommodations for visitors and salesmen and space for conventions.
East Marion Main Road Historic District, Southold: The hamlet grew along the primary road on the North Fork of Long Island between the mid-18th and mid-20th centuries, when virtually every household in East Marion was supported by fishing, farming, or a combination of the two. The district reflects the settlement and growth of East Marion and contains a collection of architectural resources reflecting popular styles from the period of significance.
Frederick and Annie Wagner Residence and St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Church, Smithtown: This nomination includes two separate and individually significant resources. The house was constructed in 1912 for Frederick J. Wagner, of national and international auto racing fame, and is architecturally significant for its design by Gustav Stickley, a leader of the American Arts and Crafts Movement. The church, built in 1928 to 1929 on land that was formerly part of the Wagner estate, is significant for its Tudor Revival design by architects McGill and Hamlin.
James H. Case III and Laura Rockefeller Case House, Van Hornesville: The excellent representative example of a mid-century modern style summer house complex was built for the Cases in 1962 to 1963 and recognized by Architectural Record in 1967 as a "house of the year." It was the first large commission by noted architect Willis N. Mills Jr.
Palatine Bridge Historic District, Palatine Bridge: The historic district encompasses 136 contributing primary buildings, one park and two cemeteries built along two main transportation routes, West Grand Street and Lafayette Street, from its 18th-century settlement period through the final days of post-World War II expansion.
Fultonville Historic District, Fultonville: The settlement and growth of Fultonville is directly related to its location along natural and man-made transportation routes, beginning with the construction of the Erie Canal in 1920 and extending to the opening of the New York State Thruway in 1955. The district contains a collection of 19th and 20th century residential and commercial buildings reflecting the community's prosperity during the historic period.
Hasbrouck Stone House, Fallsburg: The house was constructed ca. 1815 for the family of Anthony Hasbrouck (1788-1840), a member of one of the region's preeminent and early settling families. Hasbrouck, a very prominent citizen himself, was murdered in the house in 1840 in one of Sullivan County's earliest and most notorious murder cases. The house is a significant example of regional vernacular stone house design.
New York City
James Baldwin Residence, New York: The Upper West Side residence is exceptionally significant in literature and social history for its association with prominent American author and civil rights activist James Baldwin during the final period of his life, 1965 to 1987, when he owned this house and it served as his primary American residence. As a gay black author, civil rights activist and social commentator, Baldwin transformed and continues to transform discussions about race and sexuality in America and abroad.
Dorrance Brooks Square Historic District, New York City: The district is significant in social and ethnic history for its associations with many significant people and institutions of the Harlem Renaissance (late 1910s to early 1930s), when extraordinary artistic and intellectual output by black writers, artists, performers, sociologists, civil rights activists and others brought Harlem global recognition. It is also significant as an important gathering place for social and political demonstrations and speeches and for its richly detailed rowhouse architecture.
Fourth Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church, Brooklyn: The church was constructed in 1893 to 1894 as Sunset Park was experiencing rapid population growth, speculative housing construction and urbanization. The congregation, which had over 300 members at the time the church was completed, reached a high of nearly 3,000 by the mid-20th century. It is a significant example of an Akron Plan Combination Church designed by the design form's preeminent architect, George W. Kramer.
The 32nd Precinct Station House complex (later known as the 40th Precinct and the 30th Precinct), New York: Built in 1871 to 1872, the French Second Empire station house reflects the increasing investment that the city made in erecting handsome, well-planned and well-equipped police stations that would serve the needs of the precinct's police officers while also providing an impressive civic focus in the neighborhood, representing the power and importance of city government.
Asgaard Farm, Au Sable Forks: The Adirondack farm was the home, studio and working farm of the noted 20th century American artist Rockwell Kent, from the later 1920s until his death in 1971, and its various features and its general environs were portrayed by Kent in many notable paintings. The property also contains the artist's gravesite, with a marker of his own design.
Western New York Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church Complex, Niagara Falls: The Gothic Revival church built in 1889 anchors a complex that includes a 1900 Italian Renaissance-style school building with a 1960 addition, a 1907 convent and a 1910 rectory - reflecting the growth of the Sacred Heart parish over 70 years.
Delaware Avenue Medical Center, Buffalo: When it opened in 1958, it was known as "one of the most modern medical centers in the country" - offering a "one-stop-shopping approach" that would successfully meet all of a family's healthcare needs. It is a significant example of a mid-century medical office building in the International style in Buffalo.