Projects Will Protect Public Safety, Support Economic Growth by Repairing or Replacing 15 Western New York Bridges and Culverts Round One of $1 Billion BRIDGE NY Initiative Part of $21.1 Billion Multi-Year Capital Plan to Upgrade Roads and Bridges Across New York
Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today announced $20.3 million in funding to rehabilitate and replace 15 bridges and culverts across Western New York. The funding, provided through Round One of the Governor's BRIDGE NY initiative, is part of a $21.1 billion multi-year capital plan to upgrade critical roads, bridges, and other vital transportation infrastructure across New York State.
“Infrastructure is the key to our prosperity and through this program, we are providing funding to local governments in every corner of this state to help ensure their bridges remain reliable, resilient, and able to meet the demands of current and future generations of New Yorkers," Governor Cuomo said. "This is another step toward a safer, stronger and more secure New York for all."
The BRIDGE NY program emphasizes projects that address poor structural conditions; mitigate weight restrictions or long detours; facilitate economic development or increase competitiveness; and/or reduce the risk of flooding. It is administered by the New York State Department of Transportation.
Projects were selected for funding through a competitive process that evaluated the resiliency of each structure; current structural conditions; and the significance and importance of the bridge, including traffic volumes, detour considerations, number and types of businesses served; and impacts on commerce. A full list of projects and funding dollars for Western New York is below:
- $1.330 million to Cattaraugus County for Martin Road over Forks Creek
- $974,000 to Cattaraugus County for County Road 6 over Mud Creek
- $258,000 to the town of Olean (Cattaraugus County) for Back Hinsdale Road over Rural Road
- $750,000 to the city of Dunkirk (Chautauqua County) for Howard Avenue over Crooked Brook Creek
- $1.9 million to Chautauqua County for Matteson Street over Canadaway Creek
- $1.758 million to the city of Buffalo (Erie County) for Dewey Avenue over CSX railroad
- $4.845 million to the town of Amherst (Erie County) for JJ Audubon Parkway over Ellicott Creek
- $400,000 to Erie County for Warner Hill Road (County Route 390) over a tributary to Cazenovia Creek
- $525,000 to Erie County for Amsdell Road over a drainage structure
- $2.185 million to Erie County for Quaker Street over Clear Creek
- $2.613 million to Erie County for Trevett Road over Eighteen Mile Creek
- $138,000 to the town of Wheatfield (Niagara County) for Cayuga Drive Extension over Bergholtz Creek
- $209,000 to the town of Lockport (Niagara County) for Snyder Drive over Donner Creek
- $1.024 million to Niagara County Department of Public Works for Griswold Street over a tributary to Mud Creek
- $1.481 million to Niagara County Department of Public Works for Niagara Road over Bergholtz Creek
Department of Transportation Commissioner Matthew J. Driscoll said, “Keeping our bridges safe is of the utmost importance. This BRIDGE NY funding for local bridges and culverts shows a commitment by Governor Cuomo to do whatever is necessary to protect public safety and continue to grow local economies all across New York State.”
Announced as part of Governor Cuomo’s FY2017 Budget, the $1 billion BRIDGE NY program will replace, rehabilitate, and maintain vital state and local bridges in order to improve safety and critical economic growth. Half of the money will be spent on state-owned bridges, while the other half will be doled out to municipalities for critical local projects.
BRIDGE NY funding is available to all municipalities authorized to receive and administer State and federal transportation funding. Applications for grants from the first round of funding were due last fall.
French TranslationTraduction française
Haitian-Creole TranslationTradiksyon kreyòl ayisyen
Italian TranslationTraduzione italiana
Korean Translation한국어 번역
Russian TranslationПеревод на русский язык
Spanish TranslationTraducción al español