Panel Tasked with Advising State on Proposals to Create a Dedicated Funding Stream to Mass Transit and Reduce Traffic on New York City Streets
Panel to work with HNTB on Proposals and Comptroller Tom DiNapoli on Potential Fiscal Impacts to the State
Fix NYC Panel Will Report Findings and Proposals in December 2017
Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today announced the appointment of "Fix NYC," an advisory panel tasked with coming up with proposals to address the pressing issue of heavy congestion on New York City roads and highways, while producing a dedicated funding stream for the MTA. The panel will report findings in December of 2017 for consideration in next year's legislative session.
"New York City is home to some of the most gridlocked streets in the nation and with this new advisory panel, we take a major step forward in coming up with a real solution to tackle the issue of congestion while helping to fund mass transit moving forward," Governor Cuomo said. "I look forward to hearing the panel's proposals to help bring relief to millions of New Yorkers and visitors who drive on our streets and rely on mass transit every day."
The panel is comprised of transportation experts, representatives from the MTA region, local leaders and stakeholders. The panel will work with HNTB Corporation, who will provide technical assistance and modeling, and evaluate various options and the implementation of proposed plans as well as identifying potential impacts to the city.
After the panel offers proposals and models for implementation, New York State Comptroller Thomas P. DiNapoli will work with the advisory panel and HNTB to review any cost savings or cost generating options to the state and how they could impact the State's budget moving forward.
Members of the "Fix NYC" Advisory Panel include:
- Mitchell L. Moss, Henry Hart Rice Professor of Urban Policy and Planning, and Director of the Rudin Center for Transportation
- Sam Schwartz, CEO at Sam Schwartz Engineering
- Scott Rechler, Chairman of Regional Plan Association
- Kathy Wylde, President and CEO of Partnership for New York
- Bill Rudin, Chairman of Association for a Better New York
- John Samuelson, International President for Transport Workers Union
- Peter Ward, President of The New York Hotel Trades Council and member of the MTA Board of Directors
- Tom Prendergast, former chairman and CEO of MTA
- Freddy Ferrer, former Bronx Borough President and Vice Chairman of the MTA Board of Directors
- Reverend Dr. Floyd Flake, Former U.S. Congressman
- David Paterson, former Governor of New York State
- Darryl Towns, former Assemblyman from Brooklyn, and former Commissioner & CEO of New York State Homes and Community Renewal
- James Molinaro, former Borough President of Staten Island
- Kevin Law, President & CEO at Long Island Association
- Steve Bellone, Suffolk County Executive
- Mike Spano, Mayor of the City of Yonkers