Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today announced that federal disaster assistance is now available for homeowners, renters and small businesses in additional counties as a result of damages incurred by Hurricane Irene.
I thank FEMA for moving quickly to further assess the damages and needs of New Yorkers impacted by Hurricane Irene, Governor Cuomo said. All residents and small businesses who have suffered losses should call FEMAs registration number 1-800-621-3362, or register on online as soon as possible.
Today's additions include:
- Individual Assistance: Orange, Saratoga and Sullivan counties
- Individual Assistance (already designated for Public Assistance, including direct federal assistance): Clinton, Montgomery, Rockland, Suffolk, and Warren counties
- Public Assistance: Kings County, including direct federal assistance
Residents and small businesses in a total of 19 counties are now eligible to apply for the following assistance: the Individuals and Households Program, Crisis Counseling, Disaster Unemployment Assistance, USDA food coupons and distribution, USDA food commodities, Disaster Legal Services, the Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, and Small Business Administration disaster loans.
The counties currently eligible for assistance are as follows:
- Individual Assistance (Assistance to individuals and households): Albany, Clinton, Delaware, Dutchess, Essex, Greene, Montgomery, Nassau, Orange, Rensselaer, Rockland, Saratoga, Schenectady, Schoharie, Suffolk, Sullivan, Ulster, Warren and Westchester counties.
- Public Assistance (Assistance for debris removal, emergency protective actions and the repair or replacement of disaster-damaged facilities): Albany, Bronx, Clinton, Delaware, Dutchess, Essex, Greene, Kings, Montgomery, Nassau, New York, Queens, Rensselaer, Richmond, Rockland, Schoharie, Suffolk, Ulster, Warren, and Westchester Counties. Direct federal assistance is authorized.
- Hazard Mitigation Grant Program: (Assistance for actions taken to prevent or reduce long term risk to life and property from natural hazards): All counties in the State of New York are eligible to apply for assistance under the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program.
Residents and business owners who sustained losses in the designated counties can begin applying for assistance by registering online at http://www.DisasterAssistance.gov or by calling 1-800-621-3362. Disaster assistance applicants, who have a speech disability or hearing loss and use TTY, should call 1-800-462-7585 directly; for those who use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), call 1-800-621-3362. The toll-free telephone numbers will operate from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. (local time) seven days a week until further notice.
Additional counties may be made eligible for federal assistance as ongoing damage assessments are completed.