Popular Swim Areas to Stay Open on Varying Schedules Through Sunday September 17
Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today announced popular swim locations across the state park system will stay open longer this year so that New Yorkers and visitors alike may enjoy an extended summer season. More than a dozen of the most sought after swimming spots across the state will remain open until Sunday September 17, a full two weeks beyond when they are originally set to close for the season.
"New York is home to some of the world's most unparalleled state parks and by extending swimming days at beaches and pools across the state, we invite more New Yorkers to get out and enjoy all these parks have to offer," Governor Cuomo. "From Robert Moses State Park on Long Island to Robert H. Treman State Park in the Southern Tier, I encourage visitors from near and far to take advantage of these extended swimming days with their families."
New York State is making a historic commitment to improving and expanding access to outdoor recreation. The Governor's NY Parks 2020 program is a multi-year commitment to leverage $900 million in private and public funding for State Parks from 2011 to 2020. Through NY Parks 2020 Governor Cuomo launched Connect Kids to Parks program, which provides free day-use park entry to fourth-grade students and their families, grants to public schools for field trips to state parks and historic sites, and free learn-to-swim lessons throughout the summer at 27 parks.
State Parks Commissioner Rose Harvey said, "State parks and historic sites are open and enjoyed all year round and thanks to Governor Cuomo we are able to extend our programs and increase access to our facilities so that more can escape, explore and experience these memorable getaways."
The following State Park swimming facilities will offer extended seasons after Labor Day:
Western New York
- Beaver Island State Park: Weekends Sept. 9, 10 and 16,17 from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Robert H Treman State Park: Weekends Sept. 9, 10 and 16,17 from 11:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
Central New York
- Sandy Island State Park: Weekends September 9,10 and 16, 17 from 11am to 7pm
- Delta Lake State Park: Weekends September 9,10 and 16, 17 from 11 am to 7pm
- Saratoga Spa State Park Victoria Pool: Weekends Sept 8, 9, 10 and Sept. 15, 16, 17, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Lake Tiorati: Weekends Sept. 9, 10 and 16, 17 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Fahnestock State Park (Canopus Beach): Weekends Sept. 9,10, 16 and 17 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Hither Hills State Park: Daily through Sept. 17, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Jones Beach State Park Field 6: Daily through Sept. 17, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Jones Beach West Bathhouse Ocean Beach: Sept. 9 and 10, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Jones Beach Central Mall: Daily through Sept. 10, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Sept. 16 and 17, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Robert Moses State Park: Fields 2 and 5: Daily through Sept. 17, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Sunken Meadow State Park: Daily through Sept. 17, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Earlier this summer, the Governor extended swimming hours at state park beaches and pools downstate to help New Yorkers cool off during summer heat waves.