Funding will Provide Critical Support for Local Business Development and Regional Economic Competitiveness; Promotes New Technologies and Energy Efficiency
Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today announced that $23.6 million in infrastructure funding has been awarded to support safety enhancements, modernization of facilities, operational improvements and local business development at 31 airports statewide. These projects are funded through the Governor's State Aviation Capital Grant Program initiative and complement the Governor's Upstate Airport Economic Development and Revitalization Competition, which provided $200 million to modernize airports across Upstate.
"New York's airports represent the front door to our local communities and are critical to facilitating tourism and business development," Governor Cuomo said. "A world class airport is crucial to regional economic growth, and by investing in the modernization of our local airports we are creating vibrant communities where people want to live, work and play."
Projects being awarded include the construction of new passenger amenities such as new wayfinding technologies, construction of new airplane hangars and fuel facilities, enhancements to safety and security, and expansion of vehicular parking facilities. These activities will help make the communities surrounding these airports more economically competitive with facilities in neighboring states.
Infrastructure investments help make New York State attractive to new businesses and facilitate development and job growth. Through this initiative, upstate airports in New York will continue to improve their facilities to better serve the public, while retaining and creating well-paying aeronautical jobs. The State Department of Transportation will immediately begin working with airport project sponsors to expedite the delivery of these improvements.
"We're investing in airports across the state to modernize facilities and enhance the overall travel experience," said Lieutenant Governor Kathy Hochul. "This infrastructure funding will continue to make operational and safety improvements, and encourage local business development. These projects are upgrading airports, increasing tourism, and growing the economy of the entire State of New York."
New York State Department of Transportation Acting Commissioner Paul A. Karas said, "Governor Cuomo recognizes that New York's economy relies on a resilient and efficient network of airports. While many small airport facilities have been ignored across the nation, the Governor continues to invest in upstate airports to ensure the communities they serve remain connected to global markets."
New York Aviation Management Association President Christina R. Callahan said, "The New York Aviation Management Association and its members support Governor Cuomo's efforts to ensure that the State pursues policies that are pro-growth and pro job creation. Sustained and enhanced investments in our local airports is one of these winning strategies."
The new funding complements the Governor's Upstate Airport Economic Development and Revitalization Competition that provided $200 million to modernize airports using cost-effective strategies that enhance safety, improve operations and access, reduce environmental impact and create a better passenger experience. Major renovations have been completed at Greater Rochester International Airport, Syracuse Hancock International Airport, Elmira Corning Regional Airport and Plattsburg International Airport. Funding has been awarded for transformational improvement projects at Ithaca Tompkins Regional Airport and Albany International Airport.
A complete list of airports receiving infrastructure awards through the Aviation Capital Grant Program is below:
CAPITAL REGION - $3.6 million
- $1.4 million to construct a photovoltaic solar array at the Albany International Airport
- $1 million to construct a new aircraft hangar at the Schenectady County Airport
- $719,000 to construct a new snow removal equipment storage facility at the Saratoga County Airport
- $510,000 to construct a new airport fueling facility at the Columbia County Airport
CENTRAL NEW YORK REGION - $1.5 million
- $136,000 to upgrade an Automated Weather Observation Station (AWOS) and install a new security system at the Chase Field Airport in Cortland County
- $865,000 to construct a new aircraft hangar at the Oswego County Airport
- $338,000 to construct a new airfield equipment storage facility at the Syracuse Hancock International Airport
- $211,000 for runway safety improvements at the Skaneateles Aerodrome Airport in Onondaga County
FINGER LAKES REGION - $2.6 million
- $656,000 to construct a new aircraft hangar at the Genesee County Airport
- $559,000 to construct a deicing containment System and emergency equipment at the Penn Yan-Yates County Airport
- $499,000 to deploy a new start-of-the-art garage parking guidance system at the Greater Rochester International Airport
- $369,000 to renovate an aircraft hangar at the Dansville Municipal Airport in Livingston County
- $336,000 for the installation of a new Jet-A fuel tank and associated equipment at the Williamson-Sodus Airport in Wayne County
- $204,000 to construct an aircraft fuel storage and dispensing system at the Pine Hill Airport in Orleans County
LONG ISLAND REGION - $2.3 million
- $1.5 million for the renewal of landside infrastructure at Republic Airport in Suffolk County
- $800,000 to construct an enclosed pedestrian walkway connecting the transportation facility to the airport terminal at Long Island McArthur Airport in Suffolk County
MID-HUDSON REGION - $2.7 million
- $1.5 million to extend the municipal water system at the Orange County Airport
- $379,000 to modernize airport facilities at the Sullivan County International Airport
- $772,000 for environmental remediation and facility relocation at the Westchester County Airport
MOHAWK VALLEY - $2.3 million
- $1.5 million for facility modernization at the Griffiss International Airport in Oneida County
- $800,000 to construct a new airport fueling facility at the Oneonta Municipal Airport in Otsego County
NORTH COUNTRY - $1.6 million
- $576,000 for the purchase of snow removal equipment at the Floyd Bennett Memorial Airport in Warren County
- $507,000 for parking facility modifications at the Plattsburgh International Airport in Clinton County
- $536,000 for new deicing equipment at the Watertown International Airport in Jefferson County
SOUTHERN TIER - $3.9 million
- $1.5 million to construct a new shared vehicle and aircraft fuel facility at the Ithaca Tompkins International Airport
- $1.5 million to construct a photovoltaic solar parking facility at the Elmira-Corning Regional Airport in Chemung County
- $828,000 to upgrade and modernize the aircraft fuel facility at the Greater Binghamton Regional Airport in Broome County
- $64,000 to upgrade and modernize the aircraft fuel facility at the Corning-Painted Post Airport in Steuben County
WESTERN NEW YORK - $3.1 million
- $1.5 million for parking facility enhancements at the Buffalo Niagara International Airport
- $902,000 for the renovation of aircraft hangar and other airport facilities at the Chautauqua County-Jamestown Airport
- $672,000 for the purchase of snow removal equipment at the Niagara Falls International Airport