Listing Assists Property Owners in Revitalizing Buildings, Making them Eligible for Various Public Preservation Programs and Services
In 2016, New York Led the Nation in the Number of Completed Projects Using Rehabilitation Tax Credit Programs
Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today announced that the New York State Board for Historic Preservation has recommended the addition of 22 properties, resources and districts to the State and National Registers of Historic Places. Additionally, in recognition of Pride Month, Governor Cuomo announced that the National Register listing for the Alice Austen House in Staten Island has been expanded to recognize the renowned photographer’s significance in LGBT history.
"This new historic designation of for the Alice Austen House is a recognition of the full scope of this trailblazer’s life and is a further recognition of this state’s place in the struggle for LBGT rights,"Governor Cuomo said. "The rich history of New York helped shape the history of this nation and the designation of these 22 additional sites to will help ensure that these places and their histories are preserved for New Yorkers and visitors alike for generations to come."
State and National Registers listing can assist property owners in revitalizing buildings, making them eligible for various public preservation programs and services, such as matching state grants and state and federal historic rehabilitation tax credits. Since the Governor signed legislation to bolster the state’s use of rehabilitation tax credits in 2013, the state and federal program has spurred $3 billion of investment in historic commercial properties. In 2016, New York State led the nation in the number of completed projects using rehabilitation tax credit programs. $748 million in investments were generated by the state and federal credit to revitalize historic buildings throughout the state. More than two-thirds of the completed projects are in upstate communities.
Rose Harvey, Commissioner of the Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation said, "I congratulate the property owners for winning this notable distinction. It is an important step in embracing historic preservation as a tool to create jobs, promote tourism, expand housing and encourage private investment, all while preserving natural resources."
The State and National Registers are the official lists of buildings, structures, districts, landscapes, objects and sites significant in the history, architecture, archeology and culture of New York State and the nation. There are more than 120,000 historic buildings, structures and sites throughout the state listed on the National Register of Historic Places, individually or as components of historic districts. Property owners, municipalities and organizations from communities throughout the state sponsored the nominations.
Once the recommendations are approved by the state historic preservation officer, the properties are listed on the New York State Register of Historic Places and then nominated to the National Register of Historic Places, where they are reviewed and, once approved, entered on the National Register. More information and photos of the nominations are available on the Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservationwebsite.
Alice Austen House
Originally listed in 1970, the National Register listing for the 17th century Staten Island house where Austen lived did not reveal the full extent of Austen’s significance as an artist living an openly non-traditional life and how she dealt with gender and social norms in her photography. The expanded National Register listing details that between 1917 and 1945, Austen shared the house with her companion, Gertrude Tate, with whom she had an intimate, fifty-three-year, same-sex relationship. Austen was what has become known as a “New Woman,” breaking from contemporary societal strictures on feminine behavior. Austen and her friends were among many middle- and upper-class educated women of the late 19th century who did not feel that they needed a man to live a successful life. Austen’s non-traditional relationship with Tate and her exploration of gender and societal norms were illustrated in her photographs.
The designation of the Alice Austen House is part of the broader New York City LGBT Historic Sites Project, which is working to highlight LGBT history from the founding of New York City through the 20th Century. For more information about documented LGBT historic sites in NYC and to view the organization’s interactive map, please visithttps://www.nyclgbtsites.org/. The project has been funded in part by grants received by the Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation from theDepartment of the Interior’s Underrepresented Communities Grant. To date, the project has received funding twice for awards of $49,999. The grant program is funded though the Interior’s Historic Preservation Fund and is designed to help increase the number of listings associated with communities that are underrepresented in the National Register of Historic Places.
Allegany Council House
At the request of the Seneca Nation, the State Review Board considered a proposal to nominate the Allegany Council House in the Seneca Nation Allegany Territory to the National Register. Although the board voted to support the nomination, the Seneca Nation has its own Tribal Preservation Officer and will submit the nomination directly to the Keeper of the Register.
The 1925 wood-frame building is significant for its associations with two major 20th century events in the cultural and governmental history of the Seneca Nation. The Allegany Council House served as the primary gathering place for regular meetings of the Seneca Council and was the political epicenter for two major Seneca Nation battles: to halt the Kinzua Dam Project and to obtain the right to vote for Seneca women in Seneca elections.
- Coeymans Landing Historic District, Coeymans – First settled by Barent Pieterze Coeymans in 1673, the Landing is one of New York's oldest continuously occupied settlement. Its history is linked with New York's late 17th century Dutch settlement and the state's 18th century water-powered industrial development.
- Crandell Theatre, Chatham – Built in 1926 as a venue for both live vaudeville performances and the screening of photoplays, the theater reflects an era of improvement in the village backed by a prominent local family, the Crandells.
- The Oak Hill Historic District, Durham –The buildings and structures in the district chronicle the development of Oak Hill as it evolved from a Revolutionary War-era frontier settlement in the rugged Catskill Mountain foothills into a thriving hamlet with its own manufacturing and commercial firms, hotels, and religious organizations by the mid-19th century.
Central New York
- The Morgan Dunne House, Syracuse – The 1911 house is a residence designed by prolific Syracuse architect Ward Wellington Ward, who was known for using a variety of designs related to the Arts and Crafts Movement in the early 20th century.
- Sagamore Apartment House, Syracuse – The 1926 complex reflects a new housing type built to accommodate the needs of the growing urban middle class in early 20th century Syracuse.
- West High School, Auburn – Built in 1938, West High School differed from more traditional schools by emphasizing training for students planning to enter the industrial workforce, and the school’s design reflected this by including workshop style classrooms for practical, task oriented training.
- The Newberry Building, Batavia – For more than a century, the building served as a primary anchor for Batavia’s commercial Main Street, housing local companies from 1881 to 1929 and a branch of a national JJ Newberry five-and-dime chain retailer from 1929 to 1996.
- Warren-Benham House, Bristol Springs – The Tudor Revival-style summer cottage was built in 1924, when the area was transitioning from an economy based on limited agriculture and summer steamboat excursions to one based on the development of private estates and vacation homes on Canandaigua Lake.
- The Charles and Anna Bates House, Greenport – The 1845 Greek Revival period house was transformed into a seasonal boardinghouse c. 1870 as the Long Island Railroad helped make Greenport a resort community.
- George Sumner Kellogg House, Baldwin – Designed and constructed from 1899 to 1900 for Civil War veteran George Sumner Kellogg, the home is the last remaining intact example of a Queen Anne style residence in the village.
- The house at 390 Ocean Avenue, Massapequa – The 1913 home is the last to be built in an early Massapequa residential development of homes constructed from National Fire Proofing Company tile and Ludowici roof tile.
- The Second and Ostrander Historic District, Riverhead – The district was downtown Riverhead’s primary residential neighborhood, growing up alongside the village’s commercial corridor from 1840, when the first houses came to newly laid-out streets, through 1958.
- The Swan River Schoolhouse, East Patchogue – Built in 1858, the one-room schoolhouse with Greek Revival and Italianate detailing served the growing community until it was closed and students were sent to newer schools in 1936.
- Gumaer Cemetery, Godeffroy – The cemetery is perhaps the oldest burial ground used by European settlers within the bounds of present-day Orange County and is the sole surviving resource that documents the earliest settlement of the Peenpack Patent, which was granted by the English Crown in 1697.
New York City
- Congregation Ohab Zedek, Manhattan – Built 1926–27 for Congregation Ohab Zedek, a congregation of Hungarian origin, it dates from a period when New York City had become one of the world’s major Jewish population centers.
- The First Lewis County Clerk’s Office, Martinsburg – Local landowner Walter Martin helped construct the county clerk’s office in 1847 as a way to help Martinsburg retain its hold as the county seat, and it has since become a local museum and a focus of local pride.
- Lady Tree Lodge, Saranac Inn – The 1896 building is historically associated with the Saranac Inn, one of the premier hotels of the early 20th century, but it also served as the summer home of two prominent individuals: Texas newspaperman Colonel Alfred H. Belo (1839-1901) and New York Governor Charles Evans Hughes, who used it as his summer executive mansion in 1908 and 1909.
- Stillwater Mountain Fire Observation Station, Webb – The steel tower was erected in 1919 as part of the state-run fire observation network established after several disastrous forest fires. It was also the site where Verplanck Colvin built a wood tower on the summit in 1882 to use as a triangulation station during his survey of the Adirondacks.
- St. Matthew’s Episcopal Church, Horseheads – The modest, intact Gothic Revival church was built in 1866 with locally produced brick by a small congregation established four years earlier.
Western New York
- Delaware Avenue Baptist Church, Buffalo – The Romanesque Revival style church was constructed between 1894 and 1895, along one of the city’s most fashionable and prominent late 19th century streets and is notable for its highly intact interior decoration in the main sanctuary space.
- The First Baptist Church of Springville (boundary expansion) – The nomination expands the 2008 National Register listing to include an 1887 Queen Anne style parsonage.
- The Linde Air Products Factory, Buffalo – Opened in 1907 by the German-based Linde Air Products Company, the factory was the first oxygen extraction facility in America – producing pressurized oxygen for acetylene torches and new methods of transporting liquid oxygen. In addition, scientists involved in the Manhattan Project used laboratories in the factory between 1942 and 1946.
French TranslationTraduction française
Haitian-Creole TranslationTradiksyon kreyòl ayisyen
Italian TranslationTraduzione italiana
Korean Translation한국어 번역
Russian TranslationПеревод на русский язык
Spanish TranslationTraducción al español