Mid-Hudson Valley's Rest Haven, Established by Chief Founder of the American Foundation for the Blind and Managed by Helen Keller, Designated as an Historic Site
Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today announced that the New York State Board for Historic Preservation has recommended the addition of 20 properties and districts to the State and National Registers of Historic Places. The nominations reflect the breadth of New York's history; ranging from churches built by immigrants, community institutions created by philanthropists, and schools built in growing neighborhoods.
"The history of the Empire State is the history of this nation," Governor Cuomo said. "These designations will help ensure the storied sites and places that dot every corner of this state, will be preserved for future generations of New Yorkers."
"These nominations celebrate New York’s rich and diverse history," said Rose Harvey, Commissioner of the Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. "Adding them to the State and National Registers of Historic Places can help them continue to be part of the fabric of their communities for years to come."
State and National Registers listing can assist property owners in revitalizing buildings, making them eligible for various public preservation programs and services, such as matching state grants and state and federal historic rehabilitation tax credits.
The State and National Registers are the official lists of buildings, structures, districts, landscapes, objects and sites significant in the history, architecture, archeology and culture of New York State and the nation. There are more than 120,000 historic buildings, structures and sites throughout the state listed on the National Register of Historic Places, individually or as components of historic districts. Property owners, municipalities and organizations from communities throughout the state sponsored the nominations.
Once the recommendations are approved by the state historic preservation officer, the properties are listed on the New York State Register of Historic Places and then nominated to the National Register of Historic Places, where they are reviewed and, once approved, entered on the National Register. More information and photos of the nominations are available on the Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation website.
New York City
P.S. 186, Manhattan – Constructed in 1903, the Renaissance Revival-style building was the first public school built in the newly developed Hamilton Heights section of Harlem and, until its closing in 1975, was an educational center for children and adults in the neighborhood.
The Reformed Church of Melrose, Bronx – Built in 1879 in a German-inspired Gothic Revival style for the German immigrant community in an area of the Bronx growing thanks to the expansion of rail networks and an influx of working-class European immigrants.
Southold Milestone 7, Laurel – The first of a series of 23 historic granite wayfinding markers along the route of the old Main Road in Southold Town that were set in 1829 to mark the distances from what was then the Suffolk County Hall/Courthouse in Riverhead. Milestone 7 is being nominated under the Southold Town Milestones Multiple Property Document.
The Cash-Draper House, Middletown – This excellent representation of Greek Revival-style domestic architecture was likely built around 1842 for farmer John Morris Cash.
Rest Haven, Monroe – The opulent Colonial Revival-style dwelling was built in 1903. In 1923 it was acquired by Moses C. Migel, a successful silk merchant and chief founder of the American Foundation for the Blind, who created a retreat for women with visual impairments. Additionally, activist Helen Keller served as a board trustee until her death in 1968.
The Underhill-Acker House, Croton-on-Hudson – The impressive and highly intact Italianate-style house, originally built ca. 1873, served as the home and medical office of Dr. Thomas Jefferson Acker, a prominent local citizen.
The Winans-Huntting Homestead, Pine Plains – The original portion of the house dates to about 1774; it was expanded about 1810 and received elegant Federal period finishes, including its staircase, doors, chair rails, and mantels. A rear wing was added ca. 1830 to provide additional service and living space.
The St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church Complex, Schenectady –The monumental stone church built in 1902, convent that was converted from the original 1893 church, 1913 parish school, and 1920s rectory were built to serve Schenectady's growing Polish immigrant population. The parish met the community's needs until closed in 2009.
Heintzelman Library, Horicon – Completed in 1907, the rustic building was the culmination of efforts spearheaded by, among others, seasonal resident Emily Bailey Heintzelman (1853-1902) to bring a reading center to this remote Adirondack region community.
International Paper Company Administrative Building & Time Office, Corinth – The last remaining vestige of International Paper's once sprawling Palmer Falls paper manufacturing operation in Corinth was built between 1904 and 1905.
Camp Taiga, Long Lake – The small rustic camp built in the 1890s is notable for the ornate design elements associated with much larger artistic camps – including a massive stone fireplace, birch bark wallpaper, rough cedar bark paneling, and unpeeled log trim.
Forest Hill Cemetery, Utica – The 1849 cemetery is significant for the quality, character, and integrity of its rural cemetery landscape design and architecture and for its large collection of distinctive mid-19th to mid-20th century funerary art.
Marshall D. Bice House, Schoharie–Real estate developer Marshall D. Bice built the large, prominently sited, Italianate-style brick house at the center of Bice's real estate holdings in Schoharie's newly developing suburb, southwest of the Schoharie Court House.
The Biggs Memorial Hospital Cottage, Ithaca – One of three surviving residential buildings constructed in 1936 for the staff of the Hermann M. Biggs Memorial Hospital, this cottage was designed by prominent Ithaca architect Arthur N. Gibb.
The Miller Block and Townhouse – Completed in 1887, the visual and commercial landmark reflects the rapid growth of Southside during the late 19th century as both North and South Main Street became one of the first streets to cross the Chemung River, encouraging the new shops and stores.
The United Presbyterian Church of Davenport, Davenport –The church was built in 1868 in the Greek Revival style by a congregation formed by members of the Congregational Society and nearby Scotch Presbyterian churches; it underwent a Victorian period redesign in the 1890s.
Gaines District #2 Cobblestone Schoolhouse, Gaines Basin – The highly intact 1832 schoolhouse was constructed in the distinctive local cobblestone building tradition and reflects the expansion of the school system in response to the growth that accompanied the Erie Canal.
The Potter Historic District, Fairport – The district includes the 1858 estate of Fairport’s influential Potter family, which was donated in 1944 to become a park and community center, as well as the neighboring Potter Place residential subdivision, created by the Potter family in the early 20th century.
Western New York
Buffalo Public School #77 (PS 77), Buffalo – The former elementary school in the North Prospect Hill neighborhood was constructed in 1927-1928 and was one of 24 new schools and 26 additions built by the Buffalo School District between 1919 and 1929.
The Virginia, Buffalo – Constructed around 1900, the Colonial Revival style structure is a representative example of a modest apartment building designed specifically for Buffalo’s growing middle class.