Projects Will Protect Public Safety, Support Economic Growth by Repairing or Replacing 14 North Country Bridges and Culverts
Round One of $1 Billion BRIDGE NY Initiative
Part of $21.1 Billion Multi-Year Capital Plan to Upgrade Roads and Bridges Across New York
Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today announced $17.3 million in funding to rehabilitate and replace 14 bridges and culverts throughout the North Country. The funding, provided through Round One of the Governor's BRIDGE NY initiative, is part of a $21.1 billion multi-year capital plan to upgrade critical roads, bridges, and other vital transportation infrastructure across New York State.
“By providing BRIDGE NY funding to local governments, we are building safer, more reliable bridges, protecting public safety, and bolstering economic growth in communities across the state," Governor Cuomo said. "Our transportation infrastructure is critical both to helping people safely get to where they need to go and in supporting the long-term economic vitality of New York."
The BRIDGE NY program provides emphasis on projects that address poor structural conditions; mitigate weight restrictions or long detours; facilitate economic development or increase competitiveness; and/or reduce the risk of flooding. It is administered by the New York State Department of Transportation.
Projects were selected for funding through a competitive process that evaluated the resiliency of each structure; current structural conditions; and the significance and importance of the bridge, including traffic volumes, detour considerations, number and types of businesses served; and impacts on commerce. Following is a full list of projects and funding dollars for the North Country:
- $2.483 million to Essex County for Campsite Road over the Hudson River
- $865,000 for Hamilton County Department of Public Works for County Road 6 over Hatch Brook
- $713,000 to Franklin County for Lane Street over Salmon River
- $1.568 million to Franklin County for Coveytown Road over Little Trout River
- $650,000 to the town of Constable (Franklin County) for Fountain Street over a tributary to Beaver Pond Brook
- $1.235 million to the city of Watertown (Jefferson County) for Mill Street (Route 11) over Black River
- $475,000 to the city of Watertown (Jefferson County) for Route 283 over North Branch of Black River
- $1.577 million to Jefferson County for Canal Street over Black River
- $1.282 million to Jefferson County for County Road 75 over Mill Creek
- $180,000 to Jefferson County for County Route 26 over Matoon Creek
- $1.808 million to Lewis County for County Road 41 over Whetstone Creek
- $3.135 million to St. Lawrence County for County Route 24 over Grasse River
- $640,000 to Clinton County for Hardscrabble Road over an unnamed tributary of Saranac River
- $768,000 to Clinton County for Standish Road over Cold Brook
Projects By Region:
- Long Island
- New York City
- Southern Tier
- Finger Lakes
- North Country
- Mohawk Valley
- Central New York
- Capital Region
- Western NY
Department of Transportation Commissioner Matthew J. Driscoll said, “Keeping our bridges safe is of the utmost importance. This BRIDGE NY funding for local bridges and culverts shows a commitment by Governor Cuomo to do whatever is necessary to protect public safety and continue to grow local economies all across New York State.”
Announced as part of Governor Cuomo’s FY2017 Budget, the $1 billion BRIDGE NY program will replace, rehabilitate, and maintain vital state and local bridges in order to improve safety and critical economic growth. Half of the money will be spent on state-owned bridges, while the other half will be doled out to municipalities for critical local projects.
BRIDGE NY funding is available to all municipalities authorized to receive and administer State and federal transportation funding. Applications for grants from the first round of funding were due last fall.
French TranslationTraduction française
Haitian-Creole TranslationTradiksyon kreyòl ayisyen
Italian TranslationTraduzione italiana
Korean Translation한국어 번역
Russian TranslationПеревод на русский язык
Spanish TranslationTraducción al español