Outreach to Wider Audience Will Emphasize State's Core Message to New Yorkers to Stay Home
Governor Launches Instagram Campaign, #IStayHomeFor, with Jennifer Lopez and Alex Rodriguez to Reach the Widest Audience Possible
Builds on Ongoing State Efforts to Reach All Communities in New York with the Life-Saving Stay Home Message
Amid the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today launched a multi-platform, multi-language education and awareness campaign to reach all New Yorkers across the state in all zip codes including hard-to-reach communities. The campaign will emphasize the state's core message to stay home and will expand outreach and awareness of this critical mandate to new and wider audiences. The Governor launched the Instagram campaign, #IStayHomeFor, with Jennifer Lopez and Alex Rodriguez to help reach the widest audience possible with the state's life-saving stay home message.
"This virus is truly vicious, and we all have an obligation to do what we can to protect each other and to protect the most vulnerable," Governor Cuomo said. "We will only be effective if social distancing is enforced and maintained. That's why we are using every tool at our disposable to reach everyone, everywhere in every way -- particularly communities we don't normally reach -- to reinforce the message to stay home and stop the spread, if not for ourselves, for the vulnerable people we love around us."
This builds on the state's ongoing efforts to reach all communities across the state with the message to stay home, including:
- "Go Paper" Campaign: In recognition of the fact that not all New Yorkers are on social media, the state has created the "Go Paper" campaign, which partners with delivery services including FreshDirect to print flyers - which encourage people to abide by social distancing protocols, wash their hands and stay home -- and attach them to local deliveries. Starting this week, FreshDirect will include the flyers in 100,000 deliveries a week. The state is reaching out to local businesses and asking them to include the flyer with all deliveries. The flyer is available in English and Spanish here.
- Nightly Newsletter: Launched on March 17th, this nightly email newsletter provides 190,000 subscribers with reliable facts and updates on New York State's response to coronavirus. Individuals can subscribe to receive the newsletter here.
- Leveraging Radio DJs: New York State is working with DJs at the state's most popular radio stations in key communities to raise awareness about the facts regarding the spread of coronavirus and to share key crucial social distancing messages to their listener audiences.
- LinkedIn: To engage with business-oriented thought-leaders, the Governor's team uses LinkedIn to highlight messages on sourcing personal protective equipment, the impact of the private sector during the pandemic and the importance of mental health.
- NY Hub on the Ad Council's PSA Portal: NYS has partnered with the Ad Council to create a NYS specific hub highlighting our Stay Home, Save Lives messaging in English and Spanish. Assets include :30 and :60 second TV spots and pre-roll, radio spots, social media posts, online banners and OOH signs and billboards. Assets can be downloaded here.
- New York State Department of Health Preparedness Messaging: To ensure New York's diverse and multi-lingual communities are receiving critical information to prevent the spread of COVID-19, The Department produced a series of public service announcements featuring Health Commissioner, Dr. Howard Zucker. Those ads are currently airing in English on broadcast, cable and streaming video services with subtitles in Spanish, Chinese and Korean. Public service announcements are also airing on streaming and broadcast radio, and print ads have been developed in multiple languages for placement in ethnic newspapers. DOH is also engaging in a digital advertising campaign targeted to reach all communities.
- Highway Signs and Billboards: Individuals driving on the road are reminded of the Governor's important "Stay Home, Save Lives" by digital signage on major roadways.
- Graphics Campaign - Save a Life-Put a Life in Danger: Data shows that social distancing is working. To reinforce social distancing practices, this graphic campaign features a side by side comparison of crowded versus empty New York spaces.
- Nextdoor: The Governor has launched a messaging program on the Nextdoor app to keep New Yorkers updated on important Coronavirus news including the extension of New York on PAUSE and social distancing practices.
- Snapchat: New York State is working with Snap Inc. on filters that New Yorkers can use on Snapchat to spread the critical stay home message on its platform, which reaches 75 percent of all 13-34 year olds in the US. The filters will be launched this week and targeted specifically in New York. Governor Cuomo also recently launched his own Snapchat account — nygov — as a strategic way to reach young people across the state and provide critical updates.