Albany, NY (December 11, 2012)
Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today announced the members of the New York State Tax Reform and Fairness Commission, which is charged with addressing long term changes to the state tax system and helping create economic growth.
The members of the New York State Tax Reform and Fairness Commission are:
- H. Carl McCall (Co-Chair)- Chairman of the State University of New York Board of Trustees
- Peter J. Solomon (Co-Chair)- Founder and Chairman of investment advisor Peter J. Solomon Company
- J. Pat Barrett- Chairman of the Olympic Regional Development Authority
- Dall W. Forsythe-Former Budget Director for the State of New York
- Thomas H. Mattox- Commissioner of the Department of Taxation and Finance
- James Parrott- Deputy Director and Chief Economist at the Fiscal Policy Institute
- Alan D. Schwartz- Executive Chairman of Guggenheim Partners
- James W. Wetzler- Deloitte Tax LLP, former New York State Tax Commissioner
- Robert G. Wilmers- Chairman and CEO of M&T Bank
- Deborah Wright- Chairman, President and CEO of Carver Bancorp, Inc. and Carver Federal Savings Bank
“Last year, New York State government successfully passed comprehensive tax reform that put in place a progressive tax and established the lowest tax rate for the middle class in 58 years,” said Governor Cuomo. “This Commission will now undertake a broader review of the state’s complex tax code to find ways to make it simpler, and more fair, and help reduce the tax burden faced by New Yorkers and businesses. I thank all the members for their dedication to public service and look forward to working with them as we continue to make New York a national leader in reform.”
The New York State Tax Reform and Fairness Commission will conduct a comprehensive and objective review of the State's taxation policy, including corporate, sales and personal income taxation and make revenue-neutral policy recommendations to improve the current tax system. In its review, the Commission will consider ways to eliminate tax loopholes, promote administrative efficiency and enhance tax collection and enforcement.